As we announced by email, the Travel Committee is receiving applications for sponsorships to attend to GUADEC 2012. This year, GUADEC is being held in the University of A Coruña, Spain, from Thursday 26th July until Wednesday 1st August.
The instructions are detailed at https://wiki.gnome.org/Travel. Please read them carefully.
Deadline: May 16, 2012, 23:59 UTC.
Some additional comments:
- Any information you send to the Travel Committee will be private. Asking for sponsorship does not guarantee you will get sponsored.
- A good application with good information will be processed faster.
- If you need help with accommodation, the Travel Committee will book the hotel or hostel for you. This enables us to get group rates and provide accommodation assistance to the most people possible. You should state that you need accommodation, and leave the cost blank.
- Always choose the most economical option whenever possible. People who need travel sponsorship, should look for the best price (i.e. through a service like kayak.com). If the Travel Committee finds a cheaper price, that will be the price considered during the evaluation.
- If you are applying to a Google Summer of Code program (as student or mentor) you should mention it in your application. Preference will be given to students and mentors participating in the Google Summer of Code or the Outreach Program for Women. GSoC students usually get a percentage of their GUADEC expenses covered.
- If you submitted an abstract to be presented at GUADEC, you should mention it in your application. Preference will be given to people giving presentations at GUADEC. The GUADEC paper committee will let the travel committee know which talks have been accepted, so as long as you let us know you submitted one, there is no need to follow up.
- The Travel committee should reply back about receiving your application within 2-3 days. After that we would accumulate all the sponsorship requests and process them together. So please do not panic (have any butterflies in your stomach) if we take some time to reply on the status. Affirmative/Negative you would surely get a response.
- No personal emails. Please keep travel-committee Cc'ed on all your replies.
You can find us in the #travel channel at irc.gnome.org.